Ads 468x60px

Monday 12 September 2011

How to pass PMP exam on your first try

Project management practitioners know that Project Management Professional (PMP) is a international certification. In order to obtain this certification, we have to pass the exam.

In this blog, I'll just share my experience to pass the exam on my first try.....



Actually, I only spent 10 days to study about project management knowledge areas before my schedule exam. I did not join the project management course or training due to I already studied about this area in my university when I took a master degree several years ago. I also a project management trainer for Banking industry, so I am quite familiar with project management process and project management knowledge area. However, if you are not familiar with project management although you have many experiences in managing project as project manager, I strongly recommend you to join one of project management training....

Though I only spent 10 days for preparation, it does not mean that I am genius :-). In my 10 day preparation, I spent 16 hours per day to study. I did not read or study a whole book of PMBOK, because I was sleepy after read 10 pages, hehehe...I only read 1 chapter in PMBOK the day before my exam which was a chapter about project management process...

My secrets are Rita and Andy.....and here is my experience......
  1. I took PMP simulation without reading and studying about Project Management. I just want to know my raw score.... and got a score 48%, ouch :-) honestly it was quite frustrating...
  2. I reviewed my mistakes...and knowing that there was a gap and I had some lacks in procurement, quality, human resources, risk management.....
  3. I created my study schedule, started to improve my weakness points....
  4. I used Rita's book which I borrowed from my friend :-). I took a test first, than read the material, took the test again. Also there was an improvement in my score. I did it per chapter or per knowledge. After I learned the whole chapter, I took all test twice in Rita's book, first I got 78% and the second try I got 92%....
  5. After I finished Rita's book (1 week before my scheduled exam), I thought that I have to learn from other book. Actually I had two other books by Newell and Leroy Ward... and my Rita's book was not the latest edition... So I asked my friend who stay in Singapore (because it was pretty difficult to find PMP exam's book in Indonesia), to help me in finding a great book besides Rita's book. He gave me some title and I checked it in amazon. And the title from Andy Crowe book "How to pass on your first try" gave me a hope..When I checked in Amazon, mostly reviewer stated that this is a great book. So I decided to pick this book....
  6. One week before the exam, I studied Andy's book which was my best helper...I love this book. For me it helped me more thant Rita's book. Using the same method when I studied Rita's book. I took the test first per chapter, studied the material (took some note on my book study), and took the test again...After I finished all chapter, I took all test of course with 200 questions twice... Yeah U have to take the test over and over until your score is more than 90%....
  7. Please use your 1 free week simulation on Andy's website. It was extremely helpful. In order to get familiar with the exam, I took some simulation from other source. Because Andy's test was quite easy and I had to challenge my self. My score from Andy's test varied 90%-100%...
  8. When I took simulation from PM study, I only got 72%... I knew with this score in real test, I might pass the exam. But for simulation, u cannot satisfied with this score. You have to reach 90% in simulation, and I felt frustrated with this score. I admitted that PM study questions was more difficult than Andy's questions. Since you don't know the exam questions, It is really important to get familiar with difficult questions.
  9. Three days before the exam, I took 4 simulation (4 x 200 questions = 800 questions) per day, two from Andy's website and two from PMstudy... two days before the exam, I finally reached more than 90% score for PMstudy, and 100% score for Andy....
  10. Last day was recess day....I did not take the test, but....I still read just read my notes...and 1 chapter in PMBOK. While read this chapter, I tried to memorize all the PM process and knowledge area. I created my model which covered and integrated PM process and PM knowledge area. And I realized in my 10 day study, I already improved my knowledge in Project management, honestly huge improvement...I knew more about project management and how to manage the project properly, efficiently...
  11. You have to summarize your study by drawing a framework or model to help you memorize the input-tools and techniques-output...it was really helpful....
  12. Don't forget to learn about Project Management Professional and Social Responsibilities...You can find it on PMI website and Andy's book. Read it and note the important keys...
  13. On the D-day....Please arrive early, at least 30 minutes before the test...And as Rita and Andy said, before u answer your first question, you can write the matrix of project management process and project management area (you can read it on project management process) ..., all formulas like channel communication, earned value analysis, PERT, etc....
  14. Use the first two hours to answer all questions, and the last two hours to review your questions...
  15. You have to believe that you can pass the exam on your first try. Because you are what you think....
That's my experience, I wish that you can pass your exam...Good luck....


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many project management professionals are seeking to attain a professional certification and passing the PMP questions bank is one of the most common certifications sought after in the industry. There are some awesome tips and tools that can help you achieve this goal.

    ReplyDelete

 

Lijit’s search

Business Online

Popular Post